Thursday, May 8, 2014

1 Nephi 16-22

As I was reading through 1 Nephi 18 I was struck with awe at the obedience of so many of the Lord's servants. He asks a lot from them, but in return they get so much more then they could have previously imagined.
In this chapter, Lehi's family boards a ship that Nephi, with a little help from his brothers and a lot of help from the Lord, has built. This ship is to take them across the sea to the Americas, the Promised Land. Once on the ship, the "natural man" is allowed to take over, and Laman and Lemuel began to "forget by which power they had been brought thither...[and were] lifted up unto exceeding rudeness" (1 Nephi 18:9). Nephi begins to fear for the life of those on board the ship, and speaks to his brothers about their merriment. Of course, being the understanding, caring and considerate brothers that they are, they rough Nephi up a bit and then tie him with cords.
Nehpi bound by his brothers

This isn't the first time Nephi has been tied up and hit by his brothers, and previously the Lord allowed His power to immediately be seen and felt by these disobedient boys. This time, however, Nephi says "Nevertheless, the Lord did suffer it that he might show forth his power, unto the fulfilling of his word..." (1 Nephi 18:11).
Nephi was willing to suffer for the sake of furthering the work of the Lord, and in the hopes that his brothers might change their ways and come back to the path of righteousness. It makes me wonder what I am capable of...what am I willing to suffer for the Lord? What symbolism can I see between my trials and Nephi's trial on the ship? Am I willing to suffer through these things so the Lord can show others how great His power is? Do I pray for a trial to be taken away, when I should be praying that this trial can teach, not only me, but someone else the great ways of the Gospel of Jesus Christ?

No comments:

Post a Comment